So our director of food Matt Byne comes into the office the other day showing off pictures of his dinner the night before - just trying to make us jealous. Well, we were having none of it! Harassed him until he gave us this recipe - and here it is...
1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
50g plain flower
2 free-range egg yolks
1 tsp English mustard
salt and black pepper
200g very mature cheddar cheese, grated
75g Comte cheese, grated
6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, cooked under the grill until crispy.
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Steam the cauliflower for 2-3 minutes, until just tender.
3. Drain and and let dry, then arrange in an ovenproof dish.
4. Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour.
5. Cook, stirring for one to two minutes until lightly golden.
6. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk to form a smooth sauce.
7. Return to the heat and simmer for two to three minutes, then add half the cheese.
8. Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks & mustard
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Pour over the cauliflower and top with the remaining grated cheeses.
11. Place in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately topped with the crispy streaky bacon.